ADRIENNE PINE, Ph.D.
Department of Anthropology
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016
phone: (202) 885-1845
2004 University of California at Berkeley
- Ph.D. in Anthropology, May 2004
Dissertation: Manufacturing Subjects: Violence, Alcohol and the Maquiladora Industry in Honduras; Committee: Stanley Brandes (chair), Laura Nader, Lee Ann Kaskutas, Harley Shaiken
- M.A. in Demography, 1999
- M.A. in Anthropology, 1998
1998 Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea: Studied Korean language
1994 Colegio de México, Mexico City: Studied feminist theory
1993 Brown University, Providence, RI: B.A. with honors in Anthropology
1993 Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea: Studied Korean language and culture
1990-91 Universidad de las Américas, Puebla, Mexico: Studied Mexican Anthropology
American University Anthropology Department, Fall 2009-present
American University in Cairo, Anthropology Unit, Fall 2007-Spring 2009
CE course series on the political economics of healthcare for RNs, California Nurses Association, 2004-2007
Patten College Program at San Quentin State Prison, Summer 2001
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Researcher/Lead Educator, Institute for Health and Socioeconomic Policy/CNA, 6/2004-5/2007: Health care industry research & policy analysis; CE course development for RNs; public advocacy through television, print media interviews and op-eds
Recording Secretary, Berkeley Unit, UAW Local 2865, 2/2003-2/2004:
- Bargaining team and Joint Council member, chief grievance handler, organizer
- Trustee, UAW Local 2865, 10/2002- 2/2003
- Executive Board and Joint Council member, performed internal audit
EPI Interviewer 1 Public Health Institute, 8/2000-6/2002: Interviewed subjects for the Kaiser SMART Study, P.I. Lee Kaskutas
- Working Hard, Drinking Hard: On Violence and Survival in Honduras, University of California Press Public Anthropology Series, 2008
- 7 Reasons to Scrap the $1 Billion Aid Package to Central America (multiple coauthors), CIP Americas Program, July 1, 2015
- Disaster Capitalism and Outrage in Post-Coup Honduras, Telesur, June 28, 2015
- Common Purpose, Common Struggle, National Nurse, December 2014: 14–19.
- Una juventud para el cambio social: Estudiantes se solidarizan con el pueblo garífuna in Página al viento: Boletín informativo de la Editorial Universitaria, UNAH, April 2014
- Honduras, in Until the Rulers Obey: Voices from Latin American Social Movements (Clifton Ross and Marcy Rein, eds.), PM Press, February 2014.
- Women at work should be able to breastfeed and succeed, The Conversation UK. January 20, 2014
- Revolution as a Care Plan: Ethnography, Nursing and Somatic Solidarity in Honduras, Social Science & Medicine, December 2013
- Where Will the Children Play? Neoliberal Militarization in Pre-Election Honduras, Upside Down World, November 5, 2013.
- As Al Jazeera America Launches, Concerns Over Corporate-Driven Agenda Persist, with Keane Bhatt, NACLA August 20, 2013.
- Exposéing My Breasts on the Internet, CounterPunch, September 5, 2012
- Who Is the Legitimate President of Paraguay? Latin American Advisor, June 27, 2012
- U.S. Foreign Policy Backs Abusive Honduran State, San Francisco Chronicle, Feb. 29, 2012
- Estrategias para confrontar la “Cultura Estratégica” del Comando Sur, MoPaSSol, Buenos Aires, July 2011
- An Interview with Adrienne Pine: Foundations & Social Change, CounterPunch, July 5, 2011
- Tegucigolpe with David Vivar, Columbia Internacional, June 2011
- From Healing to Witchcraft: On Ritual Speech and Roboticization in the Hospital Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry, June 2011
- Zelaya's Return: Neither Reconciliation nor Democracy in Honduras, NACLA Report Online, May 28, 2011
- ¡Golpistas! Coups and Democracy in the 21st Century, NACLA, (coeditor, special edition; author, introduction; translator from Spanish of article by R. Pastor Fasquelle) Jan.-Feb. 2011
- What Is the Fallout From the Massive WikiLeaks Release? Latin American Advisor, December 8, 2010
- Coup University: SOUTHCOM and FIU Team Up on Counterinsurgency, Upside Down World, November 9, 2010
- Saving Honduras? with David Vivar. CounterPunch, October 15, 2010
- Duros, suaves e inteligentes with David Vivar. Vos el Soberano, October 12, 2010
- Honduras: ‘Reconciliation’ vs. Reality NACLA Report 43, no. 5: 4-5, October 2010
- Honduras Commemorates Tense Anniversary of Unresolved Military Coup, NACLA Report Online, June 30, 2010
- Foosball with the Devil: Haiti, Honduras and Democracy in the Neoliberal Era. New Politics, 13(1), 174-180, Summer 2010
- WOLA vs. Honduran Democracy, CounterPunch, April 12, 2010
- Message Control: Field Notes on Washington’s Golpistas NACLA Report, 43(2), 18-22, March 2010
- El golpismo y la falta de democracia estadounidense, Vos el Soberano, February 2010
- Honduras’ Porfirio “Pepe” Lobo: Another Disaster for Central American Democracy Waiting in the Wing, Council on Hemispheric Affairs, January 26, 2010.
- Human Rights and the Honduran Coup, Anthropology News 50(9), 22, 2009
- The Honduran Coup: Fiction and Fact, Upside Down World, July 29, 2009
- Waging War on the Wageless: Extrajudicial Killing, Private Armies & the Poor of Honduras, in The War Machine and Global Health: The Human Costs of Armed Conflict and the Violence Industry, ed. Merrill Singer and G. D. Hodge, Altamira Press, 2009
- ‘Tu eres gallo...pero la de los huevos soy yo’: producción y género en las maquiladoras de Honduras, in Revista TRACE, June 2009
- “Child Labor in Honduras” in The World of Child Labor: an historical and regional survey, ed. Hugh Hindman, ME Sharpe, 2008
- Working Hard, Drinking Hard, an interview with Adrienne Pine, in Upside Down World, Thursday, 21 August 2008
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS and INVITED LECTURES
- “Más allá de las estadísticas: Una perspectiva antropológica sobre la violencia en Honduras” invited lecture at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras, April 2014
- “On Bringing Incongruent Bodies to Work” in panel on Queer Terminalias, AAA, November 2013
- "'I Just Had To Get This Off My Chest': The Perils of Breastfeeding in the Neoliberal Workplace" invited lecture at the California Institute for Integral Studies, San Francisco, February 2013
- "U.S. Military Occupation of Honduras" plenary lecture, VFP National Convention, Miami, August 2012
- “Convenio entre Comando Sur y FIU sobre ‘cultura estratégica’” invited lecture at Conferencia Continental sobre la Militarización Imperial, Buenos Aires, Argentina, May 2011
- “Las ONG dentro del golpismo gringo” invited lecture at Congreso de Sociología Hondureña, San Pedro Sula, Honduras, May 2011
- “Fighting militarism from within the academy” keynote at Latin American Solidarity Conference, AU, April 2011
- “Militarism in Latin America” speaker for American University Global Day of Action on Military Spending panel, “Where Do Your Tax Dollars Go?”, Kay Chapel, AU, April 2011
- “The Electoral Dilemma Within the Honduran Resistance Movement” paper at Left Forum, Pace University, NYC, March 2011
- “Confronting U.S. Militarism in Central America: Lessons from the Honduran Resistance Movement” invited lecture at the inaugural Jean Donovan Conference for Social Justice, Case Western Reserve University, February 2011
- "The Good Coup Conference: Military-Non-Profit Alliances Behind the Coup," LASA Meetings Toronto. October 2010
- "A different kind of coup? International media and non-profit manipulation of Honduran democracy," CLALS Faculty Research Workshop, American University. September, 2010
- "Diversidad sexual y resistencia," Pueblo Pensamiento Ciclo de Foros y Debates, Frente Nacional de Resistencia Popular, COPEMH, Tegucigalpa, Honduras. June, 2010
- "Honduran Nurses in Resistance: Healing Bodies, Demanding Democracy," Howard Community College Anthropology & Archaeology Society Lecture. April, 2010
- "The Dirt Fights Back: “Street cleansing,” sexuality and the writing on the wall about Honduras's invisible genocide," Reinstating Transgression conference April, 2010
- "The Honduran Coup in Washington, DC," Reflections on the Honduran Coup mini-conference, Trinity College, Hartford, CT. April, 2010
- "(Protestant) Ethics in Research," AU Philosophy Club Tea Talks. March, 2010
- "Human rights and the obfuscation of empire in U.S. asylum courts," in AU panel discussion On Migration and Development: A demand “from below,” March, 2010
- "The Honduran Coup and Its Aftermath," Left Forum, Pace University, NYC. March, 2010
- “Race, Inequality and Justice in the context of the Honduran Coup,” plenary session, Abriendo Brecha conference, UT Austin, February 2010
- “Honduras and 21st Century Fascism: Have the Masks Come Off?” Invited lecture, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (LACS), University of Michigan, February 2010
- “El golpismo y la falta de democracia estadounidense” in Mesa-Debate: Una visión histórica del Golpe de Estado en Honduras, CIDE, Mexico DF, February 2010
- "Sex, Guns, and Sweatshops: Socioeconomic Issues in Honduras,” Georgetown U., Nov. 2009
- “Solidarity Anthropology,” keynote address, AU Public Anthropology Conference, October 2009
- “Ethical Complexities in Militant Anthropology Following the 2009 Honduran Coup” AU PAC.
- “How May I Provide You With Excellent Care Today?” How RNs are Taught to “Care” for the Bottom Line, Society for Medical Anthropology Meetings, New Haven, September 2009
- “Media Repression and Resistance in Post-Coup Honduras” at “Community Media in times of popular struggle, political mobilization, and repression,” Philadelphia Free Library, July 2009
- “Mercenary Justice: Privatized Crime Control in Honduras” in Impunity & Violence: New Approaches & Debates on Violence in Central America LASA, Rio de Janeiro, June 2009
- “Neoliberalism as War: How the Infernal Machine Destroys Honduran Bodies” at invited workshop Neoliberal Lifeworlds: Gender, Mobility, Desire, Cairo, March 2009
- “Borderland Rumors and the Corporatization of U.S. Healthcare,” AAA, SF, Nov.2008
- “Making Anthropology into a Public Issue,” forum organized by N. Scheper-Hughes in the Public Anthropology Series Critical Thinking for Critical Times, Berkeley, November 2008
- “The International War Machine and Health: The Case of Honduras,” Lecture presented at the Leonard Davis Institute at Colonial Penn Center, U Penn, August 2008
- “Expert-Witnessing Asylum: Human Rights Limitations,” SSSP meetings, Boston, July 2008.
- “Mercenary Justice and Masculinity in Urban Honduras,” The Cynthia Nelson Institute for Gender and Women's Studies Visioning the Urban Workshop, Cairo, May 2008
- “Hollywood Locos: Honduran Gangs From Reagan to Schwarzenegger,” Humanities and Social Sciences Dean’s lecture series, American University in Cairo, February 2008
- “Health Information Technology, Alienation, and Increasing U.S. Health Disparities,” AAA meetings, Washington, D.C., November 2007
- "The Health Epidemic: Therapy Society & Eroding Public Health," CounterPULSE, Jan. 2007.
- “Day of the Dead at the S.F. Hilton,” Symposium in honor of Professor Stanley Brandes, alternate AAA meetings, Berkeley, November 2004
- “Getting Drunk, Getting Sober in Honduras,” Alcohol Research Group, Berkeley, March 2003
- “Speech, Alcohol and Danger in Honduras,” AAG meetings, NOLA, March 2003
- “Genocide, Alcohol, and the Maquiladora Industry in Honduras,” AAA NOLA, Nov. 2002
- “Maquilando Progreso: Making ‘Progress’ in Honduras,” AAG meetings, L.A., March 2002
- “Mitch, Maquiladoras y Mujeres,” AAA Meetings, Chicago, November 1999
- “Los roles cambiantes de mujeres tlatzingueñas,” 3ra Cholula Symposium, UDLA Puebla, Mexico, July 1992
MEDIA APPEARANCES SINCE 2009
- Radio Globo (June 28, 2011)
Gave a 10-minute interview to FNRP program Radio host Félix Molina after being teargassed at a peaceful protest outside the U.S. military base at Soto Cano, Comayagua, Honduras, for a program that aired the same evening.
- Truthout (June 28, 2011)
I was quoted extensively in a widely republished article by investigative journalist and University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign professor Andrew Kennis, titled US Supports Bloody Regime in Honduras.
- Democracy Now (June 1, 2011)
I was interviewed by program host Amy Goodman for 14 minutes on the occasion of former president Manuel Zelaya's return to Honduras. Interview and transcript
- Political Context: The Progressive Mosaic (May 27, 2011)
I gave a lengthy email interview about the meaning of Manuel Zelaya's return to Honduras for Matt Stannard, editor of http://politicalcontext.org/, for the article More than Zelaya: Multilayered Resistance in Honduras.
- KPFA Berkeley (May 27, 2011)
Spoke with Flashpoints host Dennis Bernstein about the planned May 28 return of Mel Zelaya to Honduras for 15 minutes, and then for another 15 minutes in Spanish about the same topic with the host of Flashpoints en español.
- Radio Uno (May 21, 2011)
Spoke for an hour and a half with program host Professor Ángel Jiménez about a variety of topics, including the current state of the Honduran Resistance movement, the increasing U.S. militarization of Honduran territory, and the roles of foreigners in solidarity with Honduran people.
- Radio Globo (May 16, 2011)
Spoke for 20 minutes on FNRP nightly program with host Félix Molina about a new U.S. Army contract for permanent barracks at Soto Cano air force base.
- 88.1 WESU (May 10, 2011)
I was interviewed for an hour on Wesleyan University Radio's program "Horizontal Power Hour" (http://www.horizontalpowerhour.wordpress.com/) about violence and U.S. interventionism, and debates between various sectors of the resistance movement in Honduras. Archived here
- Radio Globo (April 26, 2011)
Spoke for one hour on FNRP program with host Félix Molina about the "Honduras is Open for Business" event being held May 5 and 6.
- Radio Jamaica (April 14, 2011)
Was interviewed for program "Jamaican Breakfast Club" for 30 minutes about the push to privatize education in Honduras and the crackdown on protesters.
- RT TV (April 7, 2011)
Interviewed for segment "Ros-Lehtinen Resets Obama Foreign Policy." Video.
- Radio Globo (March 30, 2011)
Was interviewed on David Romero's program about the response of the U.S. solidarity community to the ongoing repression in Honduras, particularly focusing on the struggle against the privatization of education
- Left Forum 2011: Towards a Politics of Solidarity (March 15, 2011)
I was featured on a promotional video for the 2011 Left Forum in NYC (March 18-20) alongside Cornel West, Frances Fox Piven, David Harvey, Barbara Ehrenreich, Stanley Aronowitz and others. Video.
- RT (January 31, 2011)
Participated in a panel discussion on the broader implications of the Egyptian uprising with host Dina Gusovsky and Andrew Gavin Marshall from the Centre for Research on Globalization. Video
- RT (January 31, 2011)
Live 8-minute interview on the Alyona Show, about the nature of and implications for Egypt's uprising. Video.
- RT TV (January 13, 2011)
Interviewed for segment: "DC dollars undermine human rights." Video
- KPFA Berkeley (January 7, 2011)
Spoke with Flashpoints host Dennis Bernstein about Brazil's first woman president Dilma Rousseff. Audio.
- WBAI New York (January 7, 2011)
Appeared on the program Wake-Up Call with host Felipe Luciano for a 20-minute conversation in which we discussed the Honduran coup, the politics surrounding Zelaya's possible return, and insurgency strategy. Audio here and here.
- WPFW (December 22, 2010)
Participated in an hour-long discussion on Wikileaks on the show "Latino Media Collective" with host Norberto Martinez, Phyllis Bennis (IPS), and Chris Simpson (AU)
- KPFA Berkeley (December 20, 2010)
Live in-studio interview on Flashpoints with host Dennis Bernstein, discussing SOUTHCOM's use of anthropology and anthropological concepts to justify the military occupation of Latin American countries.
- Radio Iran (December 20, 2010)
Gave interview about Bradley Manning, Julian Assange, and U.S. government manipulation of laws in order to silence the press.
- El Tiempo (December 18, 2010)
Article Cine Experimental en Centroamérica discusses my book Working Hard, Drinking Hard.
- KPFA Berkeley (December 17, 2010)
Appeared live and in studio on Flashpoints with host Dennis Bernstein, speaking about Wikileaks revelations in Latin America and Spain. Audio
- Liberty News Radio AZ (December 10, 2010)
Hour-long interview with host Ernest Hancock of program "Declare Your Independence" covering the themes of the Wikileaks Cablegate releases in Latin America and the SOUTHCOM-FIU alliance.
- Iranian World Service (December 7, 2010)
15-minute interview with host Mehdi Diba on the international impact of the Wikileaks cablegate disclosures.
- KALW San Francisco (December 7, 2010)
Participated as guest on Your Call, an hour-long live call-in show with host Ali Budner discussing how Wikileaks has changed people's views of the world. Audio.
- WORT 89.9FM Madison, WI (December 7, 2010)
Spanish-language interview for hour long program En Nuestro Patio with host Beatriz Botero, dealing with Wikileaks Cablegate releases in Latin America, and SOUTHCOM's "Strategic Culture" partnership with FIU. Audio.
- Guardian (December 6, 2010)
Interviewed for and quoted in story by Guardian columnist Pratap Chaterjee, Al-Qaida's South American connection
- WBAI New York (December 6, 2010)
Interview with Robert Knight, producer/host of Five O'Clock Shadow about Wikileaks Cablegate releases in Latin America and SOUTHCOM-FIU Strategic Culture Alliance. Audio.
- WPKN Bridgeport, CT. (December 6, 2010)
Live interview with Counterpoint host Scott Harris about impact of Wikileaks Cablegate on U.S.-Latin America relations, rebroadcast on Radio news magazine program "Between The Lines." Audio
- KPFA Berkeley (December 5, 2010)
Participated in hour-long show with Pratap Chaterjee and host Kris Welch on the meaning and impact of the Wikileaks Cablegate releases. Audio
- WSKY-FM 97.3 (Gainesville, FL) (December 5, 2010)
Spoke with host Doug Clifford about Wikileaks Cablegate releases having to do with Latin America.
- KPOO San Francisco (December 4, 2010)
15-minute interview with Donald Lacy, Producer/Host of Wake Up Everybody on Wikileaks Cablegate releases dealing with Latin America.
- WNUR Chicago (December 4, 2010)
20-minute interview with host Chuck Mertz of the program This is Hell about Wikileaks Cablegate releases dealing with Latin America. Audio
- WZBC Boston. (December 4, 2010)
25 minute interview with host John Grebe of program Sounds of Dissent on SOUTHCOM "strategic culture" reports and Wikileaks Cablagate leaks re: U.S. operations in Venezuela, Paraguay and Honduras? Audio here and here.
- KPFA (December 1, 2010)
Live 1/2 hour interview with Flashpoints host Eric Klein on Cablegate releases dealing with Latin America, and the FIU-SOUTHCOM alliance. Audio.
- Telesur (November 29, 2010)
Did an 8-minute live Skype interview with the Caracas bureau (from the DC bureau) on the importance of the Wikileaks Cablegate leaks.
- Radio Globo (October 26, 2010)
Spoke with host Félix Molina about the efforts of Freedom House and former U.S. ambassador to Honduras John D. Negroponte to buy off the Honduran resistance movement and force the readmission of Honduras to the OAS.
- RT Television (October 25, 2010)
Gave an interview on the occasion of the anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Grenada, placing the invasion in the context of other wars of U.S. aggression, both in the 1980s and today. Video.
- Radio Globo (October 24, 2010)
Spoke with program host Félix Molina for 15 minutes about joint State Department/NGO strategies to force the reincorporation of the Honduran coup government into the OAS at the IACHR hearings.
- WUSB 90.1 FM (Stonybrook, NY) (October 18, 2010)
Did an hour long interview with host Mort Mecklosky focusing on U.S. anti-democratic international policies masked as "Democracy Promotion."
- Radio Gualcho (October 14, 2010)
Spoke for 1 1/2 hours about the role of the United States government, military and NGOs in the Honduran coup on the "Department 19" program (a reference to Hondurans living outside Honduras).
- The Sky 97.3 FM News Talk (September 25, 2010)
I spoke with "Hour Of Hope" host Doug Clifford about recent state violence against musicians and other members of the Honduran resistance movement, and about U.S. policy toward Honduras.
- WBAI (Pacifica New York City) (September 23, 2010)
I did a 10-minute interview from 6:50-7am on WakeUp Call with host Esther Armah, speaking about recent attacks in Honduras on musicians and labor leaders. Audio.
- Liberty News Radio (September 22, 2010)
I did an hour-long interview on the show "Declare Your Independence" with host Ernest Hancock, about recent attacks on freedom of speech and resistance artists in Honduras, and U.S. policy toward Honduras in light of the same. Audio.
- Radio Progreso (September 7, 2010)
Interviewed live at the march of the Paro Cívico Nacional in Tegucigalpa, for my opinion on the role of the U.S. state department in fomenting anti-democratic neoliberal policies in Honduras, and in sweeping recent violent police and military repression of protestors under the rug.
- 89.3 FM Atlanta (September 4, 2010)
I was a guest for the entire two-hour program "Radio Diaspora" on the militarization of Latin America with host Janvieve Williams; the first hour in English, the second in Spanish.
- Radio Globo (July 21, 2010)
On the FNRP program with host Félix Molina, I provided 10 minutes of commentary on the U.S. lobbying process and State Department interference in Latin American democracies in response to current attempts by Hillary Clinton to force Honduras's reinstatement into the OAS.
- Huffington Post (July 7, 2010)
I was extensively quoted in Jeremy Kryt's article titled One Year After Coup, Honduras Still in Crisis; Is the US Enabling?
- WUSB 90.1 FM (Stonybrook, NY) (July 5, 2010)
Hour-long interview on the current state of affairs in Honduras, neoliberalism and U.S. empire with host Mort Mecklosky
- Radio Iran (June 30, 2010)
Spoke by phone from Honduras with the host and Honduran scholar and resistance member Suyapa Portillo in a live half-hour interview on the occasion of the first anniversary of the military coup d'etat in Honduras.
- Radio Jamaica (June 29, 2010)
Spoke by phone from Honduras on the morning show "The Breakfast Club" for a 20-minute interview on the occasion of the first anniversary of the military coup d'etat in Honduras.
- RESISTENCIA (Official site of the FNRP) (June 19, 2010)
An article was published in Spanish and English on my presentation about international LGBT solidarity work with the Honduran popular resistance movement inspired by murdered gay resistance leader Walter Trochez, at the weekly forum organized by the National People's Resistance Front (FNRP) of Honduras. In English and Spanish.
- Radio Globo (June 15, 2010)
In-studio interview with program host Félix Molina about homophobic hate crime, fascism and the U.S. State Department's role in the context of the Honduran coup.
- Roots Up Radio Network (May 4, 2010)
20-minute interview on the Jeff Farias Show about the politics of the Honduran Truth Commission and the U.S. government role(s) in Latin American politics.
- Associated Press (April 30, 2010)
Interviewed for and quoted in a story that ran through AP on Ambassador Hugo Llorens' recent remarks criticizing Manuel Zelaya. Article.
- Russia Today (April 28, 2010)
Spoke live on the evening news about Obama administration attempts to whitewash the coup regime and state violence in Honduras on the occasion of the visit of Honduran president Pepe Lobo and Foreign Minister Mario Canahuati to the U.S. The segment, titled: "Honduras, a monster the US created" is viewable here.
- Telesur (April 28, 2010)
Spoke about corporate influence in U.S. government, following the 4/27 Goldman Sachs hearings. Video.
- Telesur (April 20, 2010)
I was interviewed for and featured on a segment titled "Activistas Hondurenos marchan frente a la Casa Blanca TeleSUR." Video.
- Radio Globo (April 9, 2010)
Debated with Honduran Francisco Machado about the role of Honduran "dialogue" being carried out in Washington, DC on April 14 on program hosted by Félix Molina
- The Real News (April 7, 2010)
I am featured extensively as an expert on an 11-minute segment titled "U.S. covering up reality in Honduras." Video.
- WPFW 89.3 FM (Washington, DC) (April 6, 2010)
Guest on hour-long show "Voices With Vision" with host Ryme Katkhouda. Discussed current world events, the Honduran resistance movement, and LGBTQ organizing and repression in Honduras.
- WBAI (Pacifica NYC) (April 5, 2010)
Did an interview with Brad Taylor for the program Out FM about the persecution of LGBTQ people in Honduras following the military coup. Audio.
- KOOP 91.7fm Austin (April 2, 2010)
A one-hour-long edited version of my February 20, 2010 lecture at Monkeywrench Books in Austin aired on Allen Campbell's show, People United. Audio.
- Russia Today (April 2, 2010)
5-minute interview on live 4 o'clock news show about recently discovered mass graves and "false positive" murders carried out by Colombian military funded and trained by the U.S. through Plan Colombia. Video.
- Russia Today (April 2, 2010)
10-minute interview on The Alyona Show about recently discovered mass graves and "false positive" murders carried out by Colombian military funded and trained by the U.S. through Plan Colombia. Video.
- Radio Globo Honduras (March 31, 2010)
Spanish-language interview with radio host Félix Molina about the close relationship between the U.S. State Department and Washington human rights organizations.
- WUSB 90.1 FM (Stonybrook, NY) (March 29, 2010)
Spoke about situation in Honduras for half hour on the program Critique with Mort Mecklosky.
- Press TV (March 1, 2010)
Interviewed for segment titled "Clinton attempts to redeem tarnished US image in Latin America." Video
- Russia Today (RT TV) (February 23, 2010)
4-minute live interview on RT TV, discussing the newly-approved Community of Latin American and Caribbean States, which would exclude the United States and Canada. Video.
- Radio Iran (January 25, 2010)
10-minute taped interview about the situation in Honduras recorded January 22nd, aired January 25th
- Periódico INTAG (January 10, 2010)
I am quoted at length from an interview I did with article author Cyril Mychalejko in this article, which appeared in the Ecuadorian newspaper INTAG. It can also be seen online in Upside Down World.
- Gay City News (December 23, 2009)
Interviewed and quoted at length for a piece by Doug Ireland called Honduran Regime Martyrs LGBT Leader: Walter Trochez played pivotal role in bringing queer issues to fore in Resistance.
- Radio Globo (December 22, 2009)
Hour-long interview together with journalists, activists, and President Manuel Zelaya, with program host Félix Molina. We discussed the possibilities for solidarity among democracy activists in the Unite States and Honduras. Audio.
- WUSB 90.1 FM (Stonybrook, NY) (December 21, 2009)
Half-hour Interview with host Mort Mecklowsky on his program "Critique" about Honduras.
- Vos El Soberano (December 20, 2009)
Lengthy interview with Cyril Mychalejko translated into Spanish and published on Vos El Soberano's website here.
- Radio Globo (December 12, 2009)
Did an hour-long interview about the U.S. position vis-a-vis the Honduran de facto government with program host Félix Molina on Radio Globo.
- Press TV (December 11, 2009)
Was interviewed by reporter/producer Jihan Hafiz for a segment titled "State Departments Diplomacy briefing on US relations with Latin America." I provided commentary on the position of the U.S. State Department vis-a-vis Honduran democracy. Video.
- Radio Iran (December 4, 2009)
20-minute taped interview on the international implications of the Honduran elections
- Al Jazeera English (December 4, 2009)
Interviewed extensively for a 15-minute segment titled "Election coverage in Honduras," on Al Jazeera's "Listening Post" show. Video.
- NewsTalk 93 FM Jamaica (December 3, 2009)
Was interviewed by telephone for 1/2 hour about the implications of the Honduran elections, together with COHA director Larry Birns, by hosts Anthony Abrahams and Professor Trevor Munroe on "The Breakfast Club" program.
- Telesur (December 2, 2009)
Live 8-minute in-studio (in DC) Skype interview with Caracas bureau, in Spanish, on the program "En Vivo Desde el Sur," discussing the Honduran elections and the role played by the United States.
- Telesur (December 1, 2009)
Follow-up Spanish-language interview filmed and broadcast two days after the Honduran elections with reporter Andrea Arenas. Video.
- Telesur (November 29, 2009)
Short televised interview in Spanish with reporter Andrea Arenas outside polling station for Hondurans residing in the Washington, DC area, filmed and broadcast on the day of the Honduran elections. Video.
- In These Times (November 26, 2009)
I was interviewed for and quoted in an article by Jeremy Kryt titled Banana Repugnant: Can a military dictatorship hold ‘free’ elections in Honduras?
- Russia Today (October 30, 2009)
I was interviewed for a five-minute segment called "Shakeups in Latin America." Video.
- WRJN Newstalk 1400, Racine, WI (October 6, 2009)
One-hour live interview on Honduras situation together with Dr. Rosemary Joyce and host Pete Ferrand
- WRPI, Troy NY (October 5, 2009)
Interview with host Mark Dunlea about situation in Honduras on weekly public affairs radio show.
- WUSB (Stonybrook, NY) (October 5, 2009)
45-minute interview on program "Critique" with host Mort Mecklosky about the current situation in Honduras.
- CKWR FM (Waterloo, Ontario) (September 30, 2009)
Interview on Honduras situation with John Maciel, Producer/Host of "KW Magazine" show
- WPFW 89.3FM, Pacifica (Washington, DC) (September 30, 2009)
10-minute interview about Honduras situation with host Norberto Martinez of the Latino Media Collective radio program.
- Radio Jamaica (September 28, 2009)
20-minute interview on Honduran situation with host Dennis Brooks
- Al Jazeera English (September 22, 2009)
Live in-studio interview on evening news show, discussing the political implications of Honduran President Manuel Zelaya's return to Honduras.
- Russia Today (September 22, 2009)
Interviewed for segment titled "How will Manuel Zelaya's return to Honduras affect debate at the UN?" Video.
- Press TV (September 4, 2009)
I was interviewed as an expert on the 3-minute segment titled "Zelaya meets with Clinton." Video.
- WBAI (Pacifica NYC) (August 24, 2009)
Was interviewed for a 15-minute segment on the morning news program "Wake-up Call" discussing a letter to Human Rights Watch for which I was the press contact, and discussing the human rights situation in Honduras.
- KPFA (Pacifica Berkeley) (August 22, 2009)
In this 1/2 hour political talk show segment Dr. Rosemary Joyce and I talked about the political and human rights situation in Honduras with host Kris Welch. Audio.
- Single Payer Action Blog (August 21, 2009)
Interviewed for a video piece on single payer healthcare and the labor/healthcare policies of Whole Foods CEO John Mackey. Video.
- The Real News (August 5, 2009)
Featured as an expert on the 10 minute video segment, "Honduras: Where does Washington stand?" produced by Jesse Freeston of The Real News. Video.
- WBAI (Pacifica NYC) (July 28, 2009)
15-minute radio interview about events in Honduras on the program "Wakeup Call"
GRANTS and AWARDS
- AU Mellon Research Grant, 2010 and 2011
- AU CAS Grant: Center for Community Voice video project with La Clínica del Pueblo, 2010
- AUC Conference Organizing Grants: 2008 Mead Film Festival & AUC Before Community, 2009
- Civic Engagement Grant, Gerhart Center for Philanthropy and Civic Engagement, 2008
- NIAAA Grant for Graduate Research Training on Alcohol Problems, 2001- 2003
- RAND Foundation Small Central American Grant Program, Summer 1999
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation grant to study Anthropological Demography, 1998-2000
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, Korean studies, 1998-99
- Lowie Award to conduct fieldwork in Honduras. U.C. Berkeley, 1997 and 1996
- Social Science Research Grant to conduct fieldwork in Honduras. U.C. Berkeley, 1997
- Korea Foundation Graduate Scholarship Award for Korean Studies, 1996
- William Gaston Scholarship in Anthropology awarded for honors thesis. Brown U., 1993
Anthropology of Mexico and Central America
Anthropology of Migration
Anthropology of Gender
Ethnographic Methods Anthropology of Neoliberalism
Anthropology of Drugs and Alcohol
Anthropology of Violence
Anthropology of Science and Technology
Anthropology of Work
Geographic Areas: United States, Central America, Mexico, Korea, Egypt
Themes: Violence, Migration, Gender, Health Care, Technology & the Body, Political Economy, Labor Justice, Human Rights, Drug and Alcohol Studies
SKILLS and CERTIFICATIONS
- Media Expert appearances since June, 2009 include: Democracy Now, Radio Globo, Vos el Soberano, Press TV, Al Jazeera English, NewsTalk Jamaica, Telesur, In These Times, WRJN, WRPI, WUSB, WPFW, CKWR, Radio Jamaica, WBAI, KPFA, The Real News, Russia Today TV, Radio Iran, Periódico INTAG, Gay City News
- Negotiation Head bargaining team member for 2003-2006 UAW contract covering 11,000 academic student employees in the University of California system
- Expert Witness Have served as expert witness in U.S. federal court for dozens of Central American asylum seekers
- Languages Spanish (fluent); Korean, Arabic, French, Nahuatl (conversational)
- Web Design Design and maintain websites and blogs for anthropology courses and section sites to elucidate teaching philosophy and facilitate student participation; my own blog http://quotha.net has become a primary resource for analysis on Honduras.
American Anthropological Association
Association for Feminist Anthropology
Society for Medical Anthropology
Latin American Studies Association
Society for Applied Anthropology